Saturday, October 29, 2005

Just Thinking...

My ISP has been upsetting me lately. If I'm blessed by the cybergods, I will be able to post these few thoughts. Please forgive the missing trademark pictures - impossible right now with my (lack of) bandwidth.

I have seen a lot of golden retrievers this week. One did a fine job barking while keeping the stuffy firmly clamped in her mouth. Her name is "Daisy" and she's a doll. The other one was a large fluffy male I saw at Freeboot Friday last night. He saw my reaction - instantly down at eye level with him and my hands outstretched. He gave me a few seconds of his time though he was obviously very loyal to his human. That is as it should be.

I miss Rush. It has been three weeks already. Did I ever mention the vet's office sent us a sympathy card? That was just the sweetest thing to do.

When I first brought Aslan home a good friend of mine told me God would use the cat to show me some things. He then used our standard disclaimer. Those must be included because we are imperfect humans. Anyway, my friend was right. Yesterday I realized Aslan probably saved my emotional life. When I moved into my own place, the only emotions I seemed capable of feeling were negative ones. You name them, I had them. Anger, bitterness, resentment, self-loathing, guilt....(did I miss any?) After 5 weeks on my own I brought Aslan home. He has shown me that I can love - and deserve to be loved. That I am trustworthy and deserve to be trusted. That I am reliable, caring, compassionate, and fun - and deserve to receive those things as well.

It may be difficult for you to understand the depth of my feeling for this silly feline. It seems strange to me, too. All I know is when I brought Aslan home, I started a relationship. That relationsip had a clean slate. No mistakes, no disappointments, no past issues with which to deal.

I know we get a clean slate with Christ every morning and more if we ask for it, but our past experiences often block our minds and hearts and we cannot fully receive it. I haven't been the perfect "parent" to Aslan, but he still treats me as if I were. God does that, too. We aren't perfect children. More often than not, we blow it big time. Still, God treats us as though we deserve everything good in this world and the one to come.

We should treat each other that way, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still miss my first dog, Trish, who died over a year ago. I know what you mean about your relationship with your kitty. He just wants your love, and he will love you back. A purring cat next to you is one of the coolest feelings in the world.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home