Thursday, October 27, 2005

Being Alone


Mason said:

I am beginning to understand the meaning of being alone, and how it relates to life. It isn't so much a pain but a necessity for me at this point.

I have chosen a path filled with loneliness. This is part of my life, and may be or become part of yours. Being alone is a good way to understand yourself and to understand life.

When there is no one around to distract your mind, you begin to see it more clearly. Things that were originally out of focus and even distance [sic] now become very intimate and clear. This intimate feeling has brought back the desire to get back with my photography...
I do not know if I fully understand what Mason is saying as it applies to him, but I can apply it to my own situation. His thought that being alone is a good way to understand yourself is definitely an accurate statement. Let's face it: no matter where you go, there you are. I have come to believe a person must understand themselves before they can comprehend how and where to fit into life, to include fitting into the lives of others.

Spending time alone helps a person analyze their thought processes. It is a good way to peel away the distractions and outside interferences in order to get to the core of your being; your motives, your emotions, your true desires. We are far too easily influenced by the outside world. The outside world, whether in the form of media, people, or life situations, is far too loud. Sometimes seeking solitude is best so we can hear the quiet voice inside. Yes, I am referring to His still small voice, but we also need to hear our own voices.

In being able to hear our own voice, we begin to think more clearly. In my opinion, Mason is correct in his thought that blurry and distant realities become plain when one spends time alone.

I used to fear being alone or feeling lonely. I have experienced loneliness over the past three months and while I would not want a life filled with it, I have seen its advantages. Because of the position in which I have placed myself, I come to terms with being alone and realize my need for solitude. Once upon a time I believed needing solitude was selfish. Now I know it is necessary. It makes me a better person. I am better able to handle day-to-day stresses. I become more patient and surprisingly enough, better able to express my deepest feelings.

One more thing: just as Mason has the desire to begin taking pictures again, I have also felt the stirring to start using my hands in a creative manner. Obviously, writing has been my creative outlet during the past several months. And while I am not a gifted painter or photographer like Shannon, I am fairly skilled with a crochet hook, knitting needles, and other such tools. I see myself picking them up again one day soon. That thought causes a buzz of excitement to course through me.

Mason is another young man whose wisdom surpasses most who are his age. I have not been able to spend much time with him, but he has never failed impresses me with his art or his words.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its good that you see your need in solitude. One reason I spent so much time on a bike years ago. I also know, that as I mature, my need for solitude is less. It doesnt take me as much time to process and unload as it use to. I'm able to take an hour or so instead of a whole day. I never saw it as being selfish, but rather a required process to spare those I loved from having to deal with things that are not their problem or doing.
When you look at it like that, then you are able to take the time without feeling selfish because you know that when you come back, you are better able to enjoy the one you are with.
Love ya baby

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home