Monday, June 20, 2005

Wimbledon & Baseball

The excitement over The Championships at Wimbledon: Day One has started to wane. In an earlier post I mentioned my plans to keep close tabs on the tournament and attempt some predictions. Today, I was quite pleased with the results, especially on the men's side. I batted .774 on the day, with one match still hanging in the balance. That particular match is tied at 2 sets apiece, 3 games apiece. Should that match turn out the way I think, my batting average for Day One, Gentlemen's Title will improve to .781. If I'm wrong, I'll drop to .750. Still, I'm pleased. In fact, Pat took a peek at my stats and frowned. Upon looking at me he remarked, "Mom, why aren't you doing this for money?

The ladies' side did indeed prove more difficult, as I suspected. My batting average for day one is .656. Justification for the lower stats is forthcoming: There were several upsets today in the women's draw. Ai Sugiyama, seeded 23rd and who typically makes it at least as far as the round of sixteen, was ousted by Roberta Vinci - an unseeded player from Italy. Other seeded players fell as well: Patty Schnyder, Shinobu Asagoe, Karolina Sprem, and Amy Frazier all walked off the court today. Who would have foreseen Schnyder, seeded 10th, would be beaten by
Serra-Zanetti? I've never heard of her! (Not that I am a real expert.)

Am I whining? I don't think so. I am guessing that other people who have more at stake were just as surprised as I was at today's results. I am well over my disappointments of today and am eagerly looking ahead to tomorrow. Thank goodness for internet access at work and Wimbledon.org!

Happy Tennis!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home