Saturday, June 18, 2005

Tennis, Everyone?

"Tennis, Everyone?" is a familiar status message for anyone who has ever talked with me via Yahoo! Messenger. In case you hadn't heard, Wimbledon is coming! Wimbledon is considered the tennis tournament of the year. It is certainly the most prestigious of the four grand slam tennis events. Apologies for ranking Wimbledon above the US Open (tennis, not golf) will not be spoken. Truth is truth. Age and tradition deserve respect.

Watching Wimbledon has long been a custom in my house. It started when I was young. My earliest recollections are of Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors, and John McEnroe, to name a few. I do have some memories of my mother talking about "Nasty Nastase", but I can't picture his game in my head. To be fair, I will mention some of the ladies: Goolagong, Evert, and Navratilova, who in my book is the most incredible female player ever. Argue if you must, but Martina perfected the female serve/volley game and I do not think we will see any other women in the tennis world still competitive in doubles at the age of 49.

Marriage and starting my adult life did not hinder the Wimbledon ritual. I brought it with me. Sadly, the only other halfway tennis enthusiast in the house is Pat. He really loved
Pete Sampras. Since Sampras' retirement, Pat's interest has waned.

Still, the family knows: Wimbledon equals Mom controlling the television. I ask for the television three times a year - all for tennis tournaments. I do not think that is too much to ask. However, I think Andy goes through remote control withdrawal. (lol)

This year I am trying something new. I have printed the draw for both the Gentlemen's and Ladies' singles championships and I have done a little analyzing and predicting. One thing was immediately noticeable: the Wimbledon officials gave an unusually high number of their Wild Cards to British players. Yes, I know. Wimbledon is played in England. Still - after careful perusal, I don't believe their Wild Card choices to be entirely fair. Several good players had to qualify while unproven British unknowns have been allowed to walk onto the court. If all is fair in love and war, I suppose tennis could be included in the list.

In my opinion,
Rafael Nadal has the easiest draw on the men's side. I like this young man. He is humble and soft spoken. I think this quality will get him far. I doubt he will have the same struggles Hewitt and Roddick had - arriving on the scene with a loud obnoxious roar - and then proving to be disappointments. Don't misunderstand: I like Roddick & Hewitt, too. They have come a long way. I just think Nadal will not have to travel as rough a road as the other two.

In contrast, the Hewitt/Safin side will be more difficult. I'd like to see those two gentlemen in the quarter finals. In fact, that is my prediction. Roddick should make it through his portion of the draw, as well. Now, I don't mean to dismiss Henman, but let's be honest. He is aging, he has never won a major, and I think he'll have a hard time getting past Grosjean in the round of 16 if he can make it past Alexander Popp.

Does all of this mean I'm automatically putting Federer in the final? I think it's probable. He may be in for some good matches, though. Robredo and Davydenko have been playing well. Wouldn't a Hewitt/Federer semi be sweet? So would Nadal/Roddick. Hey, a person can wish, right?

I have had a harder time with the ladies' draw. Will we see Mauresmo/Dementieva in the quarters? In the top half of that draw, I don't dare guess beyond the round of 16, and even then I'm uncertain. Davenport/Clijsters; Snyder/Kuznetsova?

One thing I took delight in seeing was Venus/Serena in the same half of the same draw. I don't think either one of them will make it past the semis, and perhaps Venus will be taken out in the third round when she'll meet up with Hantukova. (Provided Hantukova can put her serves in the court) The way it looks, Pierce and Henin-Hardenne will meet up in the round of 16. I think Pierce, as likeable as she is, deflated after Roland-Garros. It wouldn't suprise me to hear of her retirement after the US Open. Then again, Davenport has hung on longer than I thought she would.

See what I mean about the women's side being more difficult? Davenport's end of the draw appears the most difficult and Sharapova's looks to be the easiest. I am fairly certain Dementieva will get all the way to the semis, perhaps taking out Mauresmo in the process.

A lot remains up in the air. One thing is certain: this is going to be a great Wimbledon! If you have never really given tennis a try before, let me encourage you to do a new thing. For the brand new spectator, I'd recommend waiting until the middle/end of next week before tuning in. That way the matches you see will not be one-sided (non)wonders.

Again I say: Tennis, Everyone? Enjoy!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home