Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Posts About Time

Obviously I have been thinking about time, lately. There is a lot to be said on the subject. I did not intend to start this series with this particular thought, but the following quote grabbed my attention and caused some serious thought:

If you never say no ~ what is your yes worth?

Wow. I am one of those people who tends to say yes about 98% of the time. It gives me a sense of value to know that I am either needed or wanted in some capacity.

Still...If I never say no, what is my yes worth? People tend to expect me to say yes all of the time so on the rare occasion when I say no, it is not received well. Suddenly, I am uncooperative or sullen. In other words, some people take me for granted.

Now then: If I start to say no more often, there will be some benefits. First, my yes will be more valuable, because people will truly appreciate when I take time out of my day for them...for whatever reason...by saying yes.

Secondly, saying no sometimes will free up more time. This new found free time can be used in whatever capacity I choose! I have become much more aware of wasted time. Time spent waiting for things to happen, time spent sitting around instead of doing, and other things of that nature. So, the idea of freeing up more time appeals to me.

Of course, this begs the question: Do I actually want to say no to anything/one? It is a choice I would have to make. I would have to weigh the pros and cons of a yes or a no.

I like the idea of not being taken for granted. Yet, I wonder if the newly gained free time by saying no would be taken up with my deciding whether or not to say yes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a true paradox...

to say "no" merely to affect a more significant "yes" sounds to be an exercise in futility, as the "yes" actually holds no more value than it previously did... it becomes a gamble and only the odds have changed.

however, to learn to say "no" when we really mean "no", or to actually recognize when we need to mean "no", gives more significance to both responses, because the one making the request begins to recognize that there has been some level of thought used in arriving at your decision rather than seeing that they are given the reaction of the obligatory "yes"...

in short (if that's possible), it's the process that needs to change (from re-action to re-sponse), not just the answer.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lady C...In response to your question about "Blue Like Jazz"...I have just started reading it and had so far found it to be very good with a couple quite meaningful nuggets and perspectives...so today on the way home from Grandma's house (yay!) I read chapter 4 in the car (yes Sherry was driving)... the story about Penny... well I could hardly contain my worship in the car while I read that! wow! yeah God has perfect timing... as in: what was I just talking to kiddo about last night? yeah wow God rocks! so I'm now excited to read the rest!
<33

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home