Saturday, April 16, 2005

I Had Fun Today!!

Yes people, it is possible for me to have fun. Hard to fathom, I know...but there ya go.

Pat and I went bowling. Now, I normally go bowling about once a year, but this was my second time in 4 months! It only requires one good hand - which isn't so good afterwards - so it is something I can do.

Anyway, just like kiddo, my son is good company. We make each other laugh. And I did well considering my lack of practice. I rolled a 479 series, which is a 159+ average. I had a 181 game! The other two were much more my "normal" scores.

Right before our first game was over, the lane beside us lit up and half dozen kids with 2 female adults joined us. I thought it would be miserable. Turns out, it was really fun! The kids were excited and the two adults were keeping a handle on their noise and activity levels.

Eighties music was playing. (Can you say, 'boo-yeah!'? I knew you could) At one point, The Cars' song, "Shake It Up" came on. I wasn't surprised, given the culture of the children, when they started singing "shake your butt." Upon careful listening, I could see how they'd think that was the correct lyric. At any rate, a couple of them started doing just that. They would grab their ball, walk/skip/run to the line, shake their butts, and throw the ball. Cute!!

Pat and I decided we wanted "hot, fresh pretzels." Pat goes up to the concession counter only to find out there weren't any made. The people nicely offered to heat some up for us, and since we were going to be there for awhile, that was fine. About ten minutes later, I started to smell something and made a comment that our pretzels were being burnt. Five minutes after that, Pat goes back up to the counter and guess what? My nose was accurate! Ten minutes after that, we were brought hot, fresh, and unburnt pretzels. They were pretty good.

I don't know how much you know about bowling, but the left side of the headpin is call the Brooklyn side. I do not know why, though I think I probably know someone who does. Anyway, I was not having much luck getting strikes in the usual right-hand pocket. So I told Pat I was going to try the Brooklyn side. I had to explain to him what it was, too. In the third game, Pat talked about using the Broadway side....talk about me laughing out loud!

And then....the very last frame of the the third game, Pat rolled his ball and got seven pins. It was a fairly difficult spare because of one pin shadowing another. It takes pretty much a dead-on hit to take all three pins out. Pat looks at me and says, "I'm gonna do a pimp shot!" I didn't know what he meant. He palmed the bowling ball and on his approach he wrapped the ball behind his back. On the release he put it on the far right gutter and gave it so much spin....that ball curved right in...and took out all three pins! Being the tenth frame, Pat got another chance. He "pimped" it again, putting it on the far right gutter just like previous time, but he spun it so much it went into the left gutter just three feet down the lane. More laughter.

There's so much more, but I guess most of it is a "you had to be there" type of thing. Pat pulls out random voices & personnae ~ makes movie quotes and references ... and all of this did me a lot of good today.

I know I whine and pout a lot. There are a lot of things about which I am unsure. BUT! One thing of which I have no doubts: my children are a blessing to me. They are two very different people and I appreciate very much the young people they have become. They meet different needs in my life. Who'd have thunk it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home