Sunday, December 03, 2006

Butcher

Nothing cures a person of loving Christmas music like hearing certain holiday songs done in an extremely poor manner. Collecting Christmas cds is an activity in which I have engaged over the years. I typically purchase one new cd per year, though the past couple of years I've made multiple purchases. Therefore, I have heard several arrangements of the same songs. Usually I am delighted with the different renditions.

Most people have "favorite" Christmas tunes, though it is rare that a person can name just one favorite. It seems nearly every recording. . .artist (term used loosely) . . . puts out a seasonal album. Not everyone can sing Christmas music well. Last week this truth was driven home to me twice.

The Bulldog has always liked the vocal stylings of Stevie Nicks. I've never been much on her, and after listening to her cut "Silent Night" to ribbons, my dislike only increased. Not only was the song done badly, and I mean badly, but she didn't sing the line, "Christ the Savior is born." Well what is the point behind the song .. Silent night, holy night...than to herald the birth of Christ?

Then there are The Temptations, who attempted the same song. They put the lovely carol through the meat grinder as well. First, it was sung in a falsetto, then in a deep bass that was never quite on pitch. And then there was the annoying, "sleep in heavenly peeeEEEAAAAAAACE," where people with very little vocal training slide up the scale while singing the word. On top of the nauseating slide, the vocalist came in just flat of the proper note.

I wonder how many of my Christmas cds do not include that song. I really don't have the stomach to hear it again anytime soon. It is a good thing my repertoire of Christmas music is a broad..and a mostly well-done one.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"this is arguably the finest rock & roll Christmas album of all time"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002W8O/ref=m_art_li_16/105-8236608-3462856

You just don't need to mess with the king.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

I have an Elvis Christmas cd that has the majority of those songs on it. By the way, Elvis did "Silent Night" well. Very well.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday I heard a Joey Ramone version of What a Wonderful World... wow that was painful... actually the punk beat/music was ok but the singing.. ouch

6:35 PM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

...all while I've been listening to Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong. Lovely, lovely. One of the tunes graces my MySpace right now. She does Silent Night in her own unique way and I don't cringe. I don't even come close!

As a side note, one of the girls in the office where I work has been playing Christmas music, too. The Temptations. Can you guess what I've heard over and over and over again? I really need some PeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeace!

6:40 PM  
Blogger The Sewing Machine Doc said...

Trying to get into the Christmas spirit. Just last night I was thinking how bad Christmas music (at least that played in the stores) has become. The other night while at Boston Market, they were playing what was supposed to pass for Christmas music. I guess it's called holiday music now as it's not politically correct to use the word Christmas in public anymore. Also, hard to get in the "holiday" spirit when it in the 70s outside today.

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. Lots going on, and haven't posted any of it since Sept. The oldest is moving back home. Always invited but due to our current space crunch she will get a day bed and a little closet space for now.

I think my friend was right when he said I was more bipolar than ADHD. Have struggled with a little depression this fall and don't seem able to shake it off. A big change from last year when I felt I had the energy to change the world. In looking back over my past perhaps I have had bipolar tendencies after all.

Hope all is well with you and yours. I remember you and your family in my prayers. Have a joyful and blessed Christmas holiday.

-Chet

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home