Saturday, November 11, 2006

Green and East Carolina Football

This is an email I sent to my Dad today.

I spent a lot of time counting money this past week. The dollars come in and it's my job to account for them. Several times while counting I would pause and think of Dad. I couldn't figure out why until Wednesday. The dark green on the bills reminded me of his winter uniform color. The leaves and scroll work reminded me of the other uniform embellishments of which I would take notice from time to time.


Today was Military Appreciation Day at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium and over 4,000 tickets were donated by various individuals so those who are serving in our armed forces could attend the game at no cost to them. Just after ECU's Marching Band played their own very nice arrangement of our National Anthem, four F-15 Strike Eagles flew low over the stadium.

Call me sappy. Call me emotional. Or call me a patriotic fool. I really don't care how you classify it. Tears rolled down my face for a good five minutes after the fly by and I realized I had not yet written my yearly Veteran's Day email to Dad, so here it is. Whether or not the country agrees with the policies and procedures of the Commander in Chief of the hour, men and women from this nation serve our country for various reasons and I am proud to have known and be related to many of them.

It may be an overused addage, but freedom really isn't free. Perhaps one day people will stop taking that freedom for granted. Until then, I will remain thankful for those who served in the past, who are serving now, and will serve in the future.

I love you, Dad. And thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home