Wednesday, June 21, 2006

From Tuesday's Reading...

...the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:
"Do not be afraid, Abram.
I am your shield,
your very great reward. " (Genesis 15:1b)
The first time I read that little passage, an old praise and worship song popped into my head. It is taken directly from Psalms:
The Lord God is a sun and shield
He gives grace and glory.
No good thing will He withhold
From them who walk uprightly.
It is a really great song! I sat and "couch danced" for a few moments while singing the song in my head & heart. Then, for whatever reason, I went back and read the verse again and had this thought:
He is my exceedingly great reward.
That made me start thinking about rewards. What are we after, really? We really aren't in pursuit of a crown because that will be given to the One who ultimately deserves all crowns. Hm. I guess He is waiting for His reward, too! He has partially entered into it, but He is still waiting for His kingdom. I don't know about anyone else, but at this point I just want rest. For me, the reward will be finally arriving at my ultimate destination - His eternal presence - with no other distractions or hinderances. A couple of days ago I wondered what my goal is. I think that's it. Check out this passage about Moses:
He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. (Heb 11:25-27)
Moses was looking for his reward, too. The thing is, I can't think of anyone who wants to spend their lives sighing and twiddling their thumbs waiting for "apple pie in the sky in the sweet by and by when they die." Abundant life is available to us NOW. We need to live while we are on this earth. Do you really think "be fruitful and multiply" refers only to procreation? I don't. Too much is written about fruit in other contexts. Part of being fruitful is helping others find the abundant life. How to go about that is a bone of contention amongst believers, so I'll avoid the subject here!
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. (Heb 10:23-25)

We can encourage each other and assemble outside our church buildings. That is something I highly recommend! Live and enjoy your life. You know what is good for you and what isn't. You know the options available to you, so do not be afraid to seize the day and make the most of your time on earth. We are strangers in a strange land, but God gave the land to us, His children. Personally, I think we can live a full life here and in due time receive our reward, eternal life with Him. The pivot point is...MOTIVE. If we keep our eyes fixed on our prize (reward), our motives will be pure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home