Tuesday, January 10, 2006

There's No Business Like Snow Business

-or-
Snow Tales


Chet's comment reminded me of the big snow we had right at Christmastime some 15 years ago. Everything was shut down. And Andy was sick. Very sick. He woke up on Christmas Eve Day with a high fever and icy roads. Brudda and Kiddo were maybe 4 & 5 - too young to be left alone. I didn't have any experience driving on ice and Andy was nearly delirious so he was unable to drive himself anywhere.

The ED at Pitt County Memorial Hospital is where he needed to go. Urgent care facilities were not a dime a dozen gracing every street corner back then and besides, they would not have been open. Not that day.

Fortunately, we had a friend who lived right around the corner. He had a big heavy truck. I don't remember if it was 4-wheel drive or not, but I do remember he came to our rescue. The attending ED physician literally had to leave the room when he saw Andy's throat. It was the worst case of strep he had ever seen and it seriously grossed out the doc. Lots of sleep and mega doses of penicillin later, Andy was outside playing in the snow with the kids after sitting in his chair watching me do the Santa Claus thing on Christmas morning.

I have a couple of shareable snow stories. Do you have any?

I believe it is inevitable that Calvin and Hobbes will grace my blog once again tomorrow morning. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home