Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Date at Fort Macon

Veteran's Day seemed to be the perfect day to visit Fort Macon. Andy and I met in the parking lot there in June of 1981. We were both very impressed with how much progress/restoration had taken place since the last time we visited.

Oh-it hasn't been 24 years since we've been there, but still a lot has changed at the fort in recent years. The bread oven, storeroom, mess hall, commissary and other exhibits are quite well done.

They've also added a barracks for each war in which the fort was occupied. There have been some exhibits for years, but many of them were new. Lighted maps and audio explanations added to the experience.

As you can see, it still pays to be short while visiting the fort! This is the entrance to the powder magazine. Yes, my head is brushing the ceiling but it makes little difference. My back thanked me for not having to stoop in order to take a peek!

I can remember visiting Ft. Macon as a teenager and playing hide and seek with other kids while there. My own two children have also roamed over the fort's grounds. There is something to be said for that. My parents are from Maine & Illinois and I do not have the benefit of having played in their old stomping grounds. I've visited places from their home states, but never had enough time to establish any sense of identity there. I think it's awesome that Andy's & my kids have long roots.

There are even exhibits from WWII. There was that German U-boat scare that caused the federal government to take the fort back from the state parks & rec department and occupy it again. Nothing ever happened and I imagine it was a boring occupation for the soldiers at that time. At least during the Spanish-American War the fort was used as a prison so there was something for the military men to do!

I apologize for the glare on this photo. I had seen ships in a bottle before, but this is a crucifixion in a bottle! I took at least 6 pictures of this in an attempt to get a clear shot but there just didn't seem to be a good angle. Mary & John are at the base of the cross and there are representative symbols of Christ on either side of the cross but I can't remember what they are. I thought this was pretty nifty. Thus, the picture.

Our day together didn't end at Fort Macon. We then put our feet on the beach - something that I must do everytime I get within a stone's throw of the ocean. I'll put that in the next entry. (It is going to be a very prolific Sunday where blog entries are concerned!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow they really fixed up the fort.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home