Monday, July 04, 2005

Summertime Activities


On June 15th I posted an entry about flowers. Most of them are doing well, as you can see from the picture. Yes, that is an actual image! You may want to question why I chose to post "rebel verbena" when I have beautiful roses. Well, *deep breath* I'll tell you: I've killed the verbena.

I know the directions said verbena is a low-water plant. But there is just something in me that sees a droopy plant and thinks, "Water it!" It has been so bloody hot it seemed logical to me that the verbena was too dry and therefore needed more water than a person would normally use for the plant.

Let's be real, here! My gorgeous trailing impatiens plant does that. It wilts. Pitifully. I water it and boing! It comes back! That particular plant has grown so much I fear I'll have to repot it within the next couple of weeks.

I still have hope for the verbena. If we don't hold on to hope, we have nothing else to hold on to, do we? I've snipped and cut back the little plants. Anything that looked like it might die has been severed. Any attempt at producing flowers has been nipped in the bud. There are some remaining green leaves and stems. There is some new growth.

I think it all comes down to not liking the fact that America is a "throw away" society. As long as I see green somewhere in those two flower pots, I'm going to keep the verbena and staunchly refuse to replace them, which has been suggested.

Am I stubborn? You betcha. It is my opinion that this type of stubbornness is the kind to keep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home