Sunday, July 03, 2005

"Maybe I'll Just Punch Him or Something"

Andy Roddick is both gracious and funny. When his post-match interview started, the first thing he said was, "No, I really don't feel like talking right now. I feel like having a beer." That was the first of many quotable statements. After awhile, the interviewer asked Roddick how to beat Federer. Andy quipped, "I don't know so maybe I'll just punch him or something." Now, don't get your feathers ruffled. Roddick said that after being very gracious and acknowledging Federer's near-perfect play and skillful, complete game. Andy Roddick is many things, which makes me like him. Please add "good sport" to the list.

During the match I wondered about Roger Federer. His game - beautiful to watch - is just what Andy said: complete and near-perfect. We tend to forget that Federer is a tender 23 years of age. He plays like someone with more age & experience. This fact made me ask myself a question. "Can he keep this up year after year or will he get bored, lazy, and too confident?" The question was answered at match point when Roger caved in to tears. I am sure some of those tears were just a release of the stoic lack of emotion Roger displays on the court throughout a tournament. The rest, though, were most likely relief, amazement, and thankfulness.

I like Roger, too. The prospect of watching these two young men for the next several years gives tennis fans much to look forward to. Roddick is correct, though. Commentators have often mentioned the "rivalry" between Roger and Andy. Roddick is quick to correct them, however. The continued match ups between these two men will not really become a rivalry until Roddick beats Federer a few times. Is it possible? I like to think so.

Stats. I'm pleased with how they turned out. For the gentlemen, I ended the fortnight with a .732, with a .701 on the ladies' side. For the entire tournament, the averaged turned out to be a respectable .717. Show me the money!

As a side note: I am upset with NBC right now.. Why is a repeat of the Davenport/Williams final being broadcast when the mixed doubles is going on live right now on centre court? In my humble yet overstated opinion, that is just plain stupid.

A look to the future: The US Open starts 29 August in good ole New York. Woot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home