Monday, September 04, 2006

The Open

Yes, it is true that I am tardy in bringing my predictions for the 2006 US Open into the light. I would apologize, but I feel as though I am the only one of my regular readers who really cares! Still, it is fun to put my money where my mouth is and see just how much I know about the world of tennis.

One thing I know is its unpredictability. Upsets happen all the time. A new era is beginning. Some of the more seasoned players are fading away while the younger ones are jockeying for position. And yes, Andre Agassi will be sorely missed. Though he is a mere six years my junior, I have watched this gentleman grow and change from "image is everything," to "is it just about winning more?" and finally into an articulate, gracious champion. Farewell, Andre.

Onto today. The game will be tough for the players over the next couple of days due to Saturday's complete rain out. The competitors are playing back-to-back matches, so those who have to fight a little harder are going to be more tired. Conditioning was never more important! Here's the line-up on the women's side: Kuznetsova (6) vs. Jankovic (19). While it is true Jankovic took out number 9 seed Vaidisova, I have to go with the seeding on this one and predict Kuznetsova.

Rezai vs. Dementieva (4). Rezai surprised everyone by taking out Kirilenko (20). And even though Dementieva doesn't have a serve (I declare it surprises her when she gets one in!), Dementieva will come out on top of today's match.

Schnyder (7) vs. Davenport (10). Sorry, Lindsay fans, she's had to work so hard to get to the round of 16
and she has a shoulder injury. Schnyder is playing extremely well. Schnyder in 3.

Peer (21) vs. Henin-Hardenne (2). This is a no-brainer, though I believe Peer has a bright future. The question here is, "Will Henin-Hardenne make it to the finals?" I honestly don't know at this point. She's strugging.

Serena Williams vs. Amelie Mauresmo (1). I really hate to say this, but I think Serena is going to take Amelie out. Mauresmo played just two tournaments prior to the Open and didn't do well. She looked flat yesterday while Serena has that, "I want to win" edginess to her play. I'm not saying she'll take the whole thing. I'm saying Serena in 3 today.

Razzano vs. Safina (12). Razzano's 10 seconds of fame are over. She took out Hingis in the second round. Safina is playing well. End of that story.

Sharapova (3) vs. Li (24). In other words, David vs. Goliath. Mutt vs. Jeff. Maria had an easy night last night. She looks pretty good. Sharapova over Li in straights.

Finally, Chakvetadze (23) vs. Golovin (27). I like Golovin. She tosses in some surprises when she plays. In this case I'm going to go against the seeding and give Golovin the win.

And now for the gentleman's draw!

Roddick (9) vs. Benjamin Becker. Becker is really causing a storm. He's blown onto the scene noticeably this season. Andy had to play a 5 setter yesterday, which isn't unusual for him. His conditioning is good so I don't think that will be a factor. I don't know if 2-3 months with Jimmy Connors as his new coach is enough time to make a real difference. I think Roddick has a problem with his mental game. While I'm not certain, I think he'll win.

Hewitt (15) vs. Gasquet (25). Hewitt also has a problem with his mental game. I like his firey attitude, though. Gasquet has done well this season. I don't know anything about these two fellow's head-to-head matches, though I seem to remember hearing Gasquet is a nemesis to Lleyton. I'm sticking with the seeds. Hewitt...no less than 4.


Robredo (6) vs. Youzhny. Mikhail Youzhny has been a surprise thus far in the tournament, but Tommy Robredo is going to stop him. Might take 4, but Youzhny's run is coming to an end.

Nadal (2) vs. Novak. Novak has also had a good run. It will end as well. Nadal is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Yes, he is powerful. More importantly, he is humble and gracious. He is, in his uncle's words, "A good boy." Go get 'em, Rafa!

Gicquel vs. Federer (1). Nothing to say here. No reason to state the obvious!! (They'll play on Tuesday)

Also on Tuesday: Berdych (12) - ain't he purty? - vs. Blake (5). First, I think Blake's seeding is too high. Still, if the folks at Wimbledon can bend rules regarding their own, then there's no reason the officals at The Open can't do the same. Anyway, this is tough to call. Berdych is another of those surprising players. Blake is a sentimental fave with a lot of talent and is playing in his house. Blake. But it won't be easy.

Haas (14) vs. Ginepri (18). Ginepri is fun to watch. He'll win this one. I think.

Safin vs. Rochus (26). Going against the seed and saying Safin. He's played hard already, but I like his chances here.

Finally, also on Tuesday, Andy Murray (17) vs. Davydenko (7). Veteran vs. up and comer. Murray is good, but he's not ready, yet. Davydenko will have to fight hard, but I believe he'll come out on top of this one.

As for my success rate...Men's side - 12/19 or 63%. Women - 11/15 or 73%. Overall: 68%. Kind of low for me. Hopefully, I'll get better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home