Monday, September 04, 2006

I Was Wrong, and I'm GLAD!

Somebody Stopped Her!

Maybe it is just me, but I have a real problem with this woman. She comes and goes from the game in a whimsical fashion that shows a tremendous lack of respect for the sport. Why does she leave? What brings her back? Her athleticism is rarely in question. What I question is how she can just walk onto the court of Arthur Ashe stadium with a wild card and expect to win without working for it. After not having played for six months or more. I'm glad she lost tonight. I am not forgetting the tough loss of her sister a few years ago or the break-up of parents. Life hands people tough stuff. We deal. Harder to deal with it when you are in the limelight, sure. But it is the price one pays for multimillion dollar fame.

Her opponent has stuck with the game through injury, the shunning of her peers, & extremely unkind press. Seven years passed between her appearances in a Slam final - but she didn't just go away. She played on. Now I have to say the winner of tonight's match has not prepared as well as she could have. She played only two tournaments during this hard court season which makes me wonder about her fitness level. She tends to peak as she goes, but she's played some relatively rough matches already so her ability to recover comes into question. I do not know how much further she will go, but I like her style of play. Next time you have a chance, check out her backhand. It is poetry in motion.

Even with the questions I have in regard to the victor's chances of walking away with the whole enchilada, I was pleased with tonight's result.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home