Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Xanadu...lol

It takes a lot of self-confidence to reveal this little nugget: I just finished watching Xanadu! One would think that is enough of a confession for one day, but there is more. Not only did I just watch the movie, I actually own the dvd!

Most people know of my love for musicals - and Gene Kelly - but their perception is that I prefer the older fare, such as West Side Story, Singing in the Rain, Brigadoon, and/or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.


The thing about movies such as Xanadu or Grease is the memory factor. Grease came out in the late 70's and Xanadu right around 1980 (no, I didn't do real research on those years, I'm making an educated guess!). Those years coincide with my teenage years. While they weren't the best years of my life, movies made them a lot easier to get through.

I can remember that I tried to tell my Mom about the big stars in Grease - Eve Arden, Dody Goodman...and this John Travolta guy...(from Welcome Back, Kotter). Mom was unimpressed. I was hoping she'd take me to see it. Something better happened, though. She gave me money and dropped me off!

Xanadu is so freakin 80's. Off the shoulder, raggish looking dresses, leg warmers, ribbons in the hair...and somehow Gene Kelly fit right in! I thought about my Sunflower while I was watching it tonight...sometimes I really miss her.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should of said you were going to watch it.. i would have gone over and watched it with you..

11:33 PM  
Blogger The Sewing Machine Doc said...

Here's a confession to join yours. I have Xanadu (the main theme song) on my ipod. Yes it does bring back memories of a different time in my life. Maybe a more innocent time (or maybe not).
-Chet

1:20 AM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

Well Sunflower, I'd be happy to watch it again - anytime you want! :o)

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

friday wanna go out to eat?
you me dad nikki?

8:20 AM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

we can do dat. Outback here we come! Anyway we can get there early or does Nikki work late?

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nikki doesnt get off work till like 6 or so.. he lives in greenville now.. so.. its not like he has to drive far.. just when he gets home he needs to shower and then we should be able to go.. Ill talk to him tonight and let you know..

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home