Monday, October 23, 2006

They Just Seemed Too Old

Jewels and I enjoyed the ECU Homecoming game this past Saturday. Just prior to the half we left our exposure to a blazing sun in our nosebleed seats in search of ice cream, dippin dots, snow cones...anything cold. After leaving one concession stand empty handed, I heard snickering from behind me. Turning back, I saw two teenaged boys. They had to be at least 14 but were likely older than that. They were quite tall, but had not yet filled out. Shrugging, I dismissed them and headed toward the kiosk that sold cold treats. Again, tittering reached my ears. I ceased my stroll and looked at Jewels. "Is there something on the back of my pants or something?"

Jewels looked slightly perplexed. "I don't know. I think they kicked something at you." After sliding her gaze downward she remarked, "Oh. There's a big grasshopper on your leg." Sure enough. He was a good sized fella! I guess the young men-like people expected me to scream and jump around like some sort of hispanic bean. Instead, I talked to the little critter, gently picked him off of my jeans, and held him out with my palm up. He did the rest, and I bid him a fond farewell as he sprang from my hand.

Jewels and I had fun, but those two boys just seemed too old to think something like that was funny. One would expect that from obnoxious male 10-to-twelve year olds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home