Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Other German Named Becker

There were only a couple of upsets today at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. This unseeded gentleman defeated his unseeded opponent. I can see you squinting at his picture thinking, "Who is he?" For me, it went a little differently. I saw his name first. "B. Becker," the online live scoreboard said. Becker? BORIS BECKER?? No way!

Yep. No way. This is Benjamin Becker. He does hail from Germany, but that seems to be the only other similarity. Granted, I have not seen him play. Perhaps he has the same serve/volley style that Boris sported.

Benjamin has won a whopping $40,000 in prize money this year. I guess when it comes to sports I have the "overpaid athlete" mindset. The $40k showed me this young man has had a rather unremarkable career thus far. I found myself thinking, "Only forty thousand?" ONLY? What did I mean by only? I have never made that amount of money in one year. Chances are good that I never will. The overpaid athlete soap box is one upon which I climb regularly. So what happened? I really need to get ahold of myself. It is okay to be a coffee snob. I do not mind having that label. But tennis snob?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home