Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ah, Nuts!

Rather than a cake, Andy wanted brownies for his birthday. While at the grocery store this past Saturday he picked out a mix that included pecans. Stop. How did you read that word, "Pecans?" And how do you pronounce it?


This query has little or nothing to do with whether or not you pronounce potato as "potahto" or tomato as "tomahto." Let us be honest. Do any of us know an American who pronounces those two words with the "ah" naturally?

"Pecan", however, is a nut of a different color. There is an ongoing debate in my house regarding the correct way to say the word. Do you say "Pee-can" or "Peh-cahn"? Or do you mix things up by saying "pee-cahn" or "peh-can?"

This is but one dilemma of the many we face on a daily basis. How to resolve this peacefully? These are the only solutions I can offer: (1) Dictionary.com mentions the "peh-cahn" pronounciation first. We should listen to Dictionary.com! (2)When in doubt, the woman is always right!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rest my case
http://www.georgiapecans.org/pr-MisperceptionsAboutPecans.htm

9:22 PM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

1. That site is almost 3 years old.

2. Dictionaries are always the high authority on pronounciations.

3. You are a man

The master rests her case.

9:33 PM  
Blogger The Sewing Machine Doc said...

My vote is for pee-can. And Toe-may-toe as well as po-tay-toe. But then again, I just barely got through high school english and still use Ain't more often than I should.
-The SewDoc

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see, see
another vote for Pee-can
:)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

yeah..and it was a MAN

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in these parts there is only one "correct" pronunciashun: Peee can... now I do understand that the english language has been corrupted in some high falutin less civilized areas

10:34 PM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

in these parts i go to the can to pee. i don't eat said can!

hm. did i go too far with that comment?

10:41 PM  
Blogger SlingingPecans said...

Say it the way that sounds comfortable to you. Then we will know where you are from :)

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, ummmm I would have to say that you DID NOT go too far with the PEE-can comment...That has always been my point. I certainly dont want to eat a can that is used for pee! :-) As far as how to pronounce "pecan" it is PEH-CAHN so just get over and pronounce it CORRECTLY! GEE! ;-) Sorry Pops, just cant agree with you on this one, cause youre wrong...lol!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Lady Constance said...

For the record: "Ju" is a southerner!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I is...Born and raised!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I lived in VA from the time I was 3 -5, AL from 5-14 and NC until now! And I say pah-con (peh-cahn)! I agree with Chet, toe-may-toe and po-tay-toe!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home