Friday, September 02, 2005

What's in a Name?

If names really aren't all that important, why is it so hard to give one to a new pet?? Meet my orange tabby. I adopted him from Saving Graces for Felines. The girl who was working at the time is someone I know from church.

This sweet fella had been at the pound since May. The people who work there just couldn't bring themselves to destroy him because he is such a good cat ~ so they let him stay on much longer than usual until the lady from Saving Graces could rescue him. According to her, she knew she was picking up this cat for someone. She was so very pleased when she found out it was me! She had named him Levi and for awhile I thought I'd keep that name. However, the moment I brought this 2 year old home, I knew "Levi" just wasn't right. The problem is, just what is the right name?

He reminds me of a lion. I researched "lion" in several languages but nothing appealed to me. And don't you dare say "Simba!" For the past two days, I've been calling him Judah. Two people I know have shortened it to Jude. (Both mean 'praise' or 'praised')

But something weird has happened. Last night and again this morning, "Aslan" popped out of my mouth. To remind you, Aslan is the lion in C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. Aslan is the Christ-figure in the stories. This kitty is affectionate and vocal. He likes to be close by without smothering me. He "paws", which you can see in the picture. I suppose I'm appealing for help. My new baby needs a name. What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

I think Aslan would be a fine name. If only I could see the pictures... ;)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Now that I can see the pictures, I agree whole-heartedly that Aslan is a good name.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now...
Sasquatch...look at those feet.
Really, I like Rudy :)

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home